It is not uncommon to have students with allergies to various food products. Exposure to these foods may cause a reaction that is immediate and sometimes life-threatening. Most foods must be ingested to cause a reaction, however, for those students who are severely allergic to nuts, a reaction can occur from being touched by an object or person contaminated with nuts. Food items processed in a plant with nuts or on machinery that was exposed to nuts can also cause a student to have a reaction. Please help us to avoid these potentially dangerous situations in school by cooperating in the following ways:

  • Parents sending food items for special occasions should refrain from sending items that contain any nuts. Check with your child’s teacher to see if there is a student in the class with food allergies before sending snacks to school.
  • If you are unsure whether the product contains nuts or was manufactured in a facility containing nuts, please do not send the item to school. Many items have nutrition/allergy information on their websites.
  • Please review labels when purchasing food items for the class. They will indicate if the item contains nuts or was processed with nuts. These items are considered unsafe and should not be served.
  • Students should wash their hands with soap and water after handling food. This practice will greatly reduce the likelihood of being exposed through touch. Please have your child was his/her hands after breakfast or before coming to school.

We greatly appreciate your support and assistance with this matter. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the school nurse.